I ❤ NYC
New York is one of my favorite cities and I’ve been there four times. Will of course go back many more times 🙂 I’ve done something special on each trip and when it comes to NYC I have plenty of great tips for you!
Let me start with hotels and then I’ll continue with restaurants, bars and sights. This is probably going to be more than one post 🙂
Hotels: (These are all in the Times Sq area)
– InterContinental // This is a four star hotel and we paid a lot of money to stay there but it was worth it all! The service was on top and so was the location. Next to the hotel was a metro station and it takes like 2 mins walk to get to Times Square. We had two queen size beds (most comfortable ever) and the bathroom was so big. We did not have breakfast included but you don’t want that in New York anyway. The city is full of cafés and that’s where you should have your breakfast.
Our room at InterContinental
– Ameritania // We had a bad start when we checked in because the room they gave us was very old, smelly and the bed sheets were damp. We could not close the bathroom door because of the carpeted floor in there and the wardrobe was tiny and also smelly. We barely started unpacking and went back to the reception asking for a new room. I think the hotel was under renovation because the new room was exactly what it looked like in the pictures. It was very nice, clean and modern. I would stay there again now that I know how the rooms are supposed to be haha.
Lobby at Ameritania
– Yotel // Wow!! This hotel is so cool!! We actually got a great deal on it was way over our expectations. The rooms look like cabins with very comfortable beds. There’s a restaurant in the hotel that has really good sushi and they don’t have breakfast included in the room price but again, cafés. Though they do offer free coffee and tea.
– Hotel Edison // A last minute booking (I wanted to cry because of the price)… I was panicked, all alone and the apartment (airbnb) I was staying at was disgusting so I booked a room at Hotel Edison and it was not worth the money when it comes to the standard but it was worth it because I could leave that apartment haha. The room was big and clean but a little bit old. The furnitures were not very nice either. The location is very good and again, no breakfast included.
Restaurants & Cafés:
– The View at Marriott Marquis // This and a few more of the restaurants I’m mentioning are very touristic but I still think you should go there. This is located at Times Sq. and choose the buffet and not a la carte. The food is really good but the best part is the dessert buffet. There’s a chocolate fountain hihi 😀 What’s special with this restaurant is that it’s revolving and giving you a great view of New York.
Dessert at the View
– Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. // If you like seafood then go!! Order mixed seafood, you won’t be disappointed. It’s very crowded so go and make a reservation about an hour before you want to eat because sometimes that’s how long you need to wait to get a table. And what’s funny is that the restaurant is inspired from the Tom Hanks movie “Cast Away”.
– Applebee’s // I know, it’s like all over America but I have to recommend it anyway haha. The food is so fat but oh so good. The babyback ribs with sweet potato fries…. Yummy!!!
– Boqueria // This is a tapas restaurant but don’t go there! It’s way too expensive, the food is not something special and the service was sooooooo bad. The waitress ignored us and it took forever to get the food.
– The Bean // This is a café that serves very good sandwiches and juices. Perfect café for breakfast and they have laptop zones where you can only sit if you have your laptop with you. That’s a good thing because then people with laptops don’t take up so much space in the café.
– Rosie’s // Rosie’s is the perfect place for brunch on a Sunday. They have very different dishes, kind of Mexican mixed with hmm… Something haha. But the food is very good and the atmosphere too! Friendly staff and good service with okay prices.
– Balthazar // Do you like fine dining? Then go to Balthazar. The restaurant itself is not very special but the food is. You do get value for the money. And try one of the desserts, you won’t regret it 😉
Dessert at Balthazar
– Umi Sushi // When I went to Umi Sushi they were actually just about to close so I was the only guest there. Quite nice because it was very quiet there and it was just what I needed 🙂 It was very kind of them to make me sushi even if it was closing time and omg how good it was!! I had like two different rolls so I suggest to choose a few from the menu. The prices are really good as well.
– Wok to walk // A very, very small take away place. They do have a few seats so if you’re lucky then you can stay but this is more if you’re on the run. You choose whatever you want to eat and they mix it for you. The food is very good and fresh.
– August Gatherings // This one is located in Chinatown. The service, well haha, a bit stressy. They asked us like a hundred of times if we want to order and we had barely checked the menu. Food came out really quick and the portions were huge but very good Chinese food.
– Le Pain Quotidien // A french café with delicious french bakeries. The one I went to is located just next to Bryant Park. It’s quite big and they have plenty of different bakeries to offer. Very good service, free wifi and you can also have food here.
– Rue B // Best jazz bar in New York!! The music, the atmosphere, the staff… everything was awesome!! This is a must in New York. You’re gonna enjoy it so much.
– Biergarten at The Standard // If you like beer and you’re around 18-23 years old, then this is a good place for you. Honestly, it felt like a youth center. I wouldn’t go there again but the rest of The Standard is nice. We had drinks and dessert at the Grill at that’s something I recommend 🙂
– Don’t tell mama // Ohhhh, I looovveeeeedddd it!!!! It’s a small bar so be on time and don’t be too many because it’s harder to get a table. What’s so special about Don’t tell mama is that the waiters, waitresses and bartenders are singing for the guests. It’s everything from musicals to rock music. And the guests are singing along and even you can get up and sing for everybody! The atmosphere was so great and everybody was so happy. I can’t wait to go back there!
– 230 5th Ave // If you want a beautiful view of new York then this is were you should go, and of course have a drink 😉 I’ll let my picture describe what it’s like there. Oh, and it’s not just a bar it’s a nightclub too.
230 5th Ave